Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tinker vs. Des Moines

I think the armband situation was taken way out of hand. If there wasn't a riot or any sort of disruption in the school, then there was no reason for the students to get suspended. I don't see how wearing a black armband could be a distraction. I also don't think the rights of others were in jeopardy. As Americans, we are granted the freedom of speech. There is nothing wrong with expressing your own personal opinion. Also, you should not be punished for choosing to do so. I am just curious to know, to what extent are we allowed to express our personal opinions without being punished for them? I'm glad the District Court didn't see this  as a protest or uprising. The principle probably were afraid that the arm bands would cause conflict between other students. The students had no reason to get suspended because they didn't cause any disruptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment